Thursday, March 13, 2008

why gnomes...

i seem to have left out from the beginning why i named my blog "helping garden gnomes." sadly i see that this makes me seem like a slight weirdo who actually believes that gnomes are real living things that need saving apparently. this is not the case i assure you! although i might change my mind if any more news reports surface about that gnome in argentina - just kidding!

the phrase "it's better to help people than garden gnomes" comes from the movie amelie (notice the gnome in the trailer). if you haven't seen this movie - do. i will warn you that there is some objectionable content (a sex scene near the beginning, one in the middle, and one of the characters works at a sex shop) but please don't let that deter you too much! this is a tale of a terribly shy secret-do-gooder who decides to help change the lives of those around her, while struggling with her own isolation. at a point in the film she removes a gnome statue from her father's garden and sends him on a trip around the world - this in turn makes her father realize that he too could get out and see the world. she finds that is better to help people than just garden gnomes. here is maybe my favorite scene from the movie. amelie has just accomplished successfully her first act of kindness and is ready for more. she knows of a blind man that sits in the subway playing music from a record player for money. she sees him on the street and becomes his eyes for a brief moment.



this is what i would like my life to be like, but unfortunately, i tend to help the gnomes more than the people around me. that's why i titled my blog helping garden gnomes. kind of sad really. i'm working on it though :)

3 comments:

Tirz said...

Woohoo! Lost is on! I love the movie Amelie and thanks for the explanation. I had wondered about that!

Anonymous said...

I'm a lurker, I followed a link from Galloping Cows [where I also lurk] because I love gnomes and saw your heading, and so does my daughter, morninglorykitsch, who also blogs, [but I digress] but she also loves gnomes and hobbits and the Amelie films which I also watched and you two should hook up! I'm going to tell her to look you up. :) Did any of that make sense?

Unknown said...

i first saw amelie this year. how did i miss it for so long!?!? it is unequivocably my favorite movie. the scene you chose as your favorite is definitely in my top 5. i even issued a challenge to my readers to see amelie. it is one of those films that is unnequaled in cinematography and story. my gal pal just gave me my own copy for my birthday. yea, extras!

collignon down the john!